CO Facts

Facts About Carbon Monoxide

 

Carbon Monoxide or CO is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas.

The production of the gas comes from poor burning of carbon based fuels, such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood and charcoal.

The term for incorrect burning of these fuels is known as incomplete combustion.

Exposure to this gas can be attributed to a number of various appliances that burn the above fuels. These can include such things as boilers, space heaters, cookers, water heaters, stoves, fireplaces and fumes from automobiles.

Exposure to it can be deadly depending on the levels of exposure.

There are, on average 40 deaths per year on average from CO poisoning in the U.K

It poisons a person by entering the blood stream and reduces the delivery of oxygen to the bodies organs.

Symptoms will vary depending upon length and levels of exposure.

Mild symptoms can include nausea, headaches, feeling sleepy and weakness, much the same flu symptoms.

More severe cases need immediate treatment for exposure can lead to memory loss, depression, attack of the central nervous system, convulsions and in very severe cases, death.

The people most at risk are infants and young children, pregnant women, the elderly and those people with lung and heart disease.

Pay attention to the symptoms of carbon monoxide, especially if there is more than one person with similar symptoms.

Move any victims into fresh air as soon as possible.

Switch off any appliances that burn carbon based fuels.

Open windows and door to help with ventilation.

Get medical assistance as soon as possible.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on Reddit