Family’s lucky escape after carbon monoxide alarm saves their lives

A FAMILY of six in Poole had a lucky escape after a leaking gas fire activated a carbon monoxide detector.
Firefighters and an ambulance were called to the home in Herbert Avenue last Thursday evening where two adults and four young children were found to be suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“This incident could have had a very different outcome,” said Dave Graham, head of projects and standards at Dorset Fire and Rescue Service.
“The carbon monoxide alarm literally saved the lives of this young family.”
Each received precautionary medical checks from paramedics at the scene and a Transco engineer isolated the gas supply. The crew from Poole Fire Station ventilated the property before using gas monitoring equipment to ensure it was safe and carrying out a home safety check.
“It is often called ‘the silent killer’ – carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell and can be produced by appliances that use gas, wood, oil or coal,” he said.
“The fumes are potentially fatal and even at low-levels can cause lasting damage to your health. It’s vital to have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home as well as having a working smoke alarm.”